What We Do
We work to create a world where all people are healthy and thriving, with equal access to safe food and drinking water, and products that are toxic-free and climate-friendly.
The Strategy Center’s major accomplishments since 2002 include:
- We developed first-in-the-nation state policies to phase out mercury in thermostats, PBDE flame retardants in TVs and computers, and BPA in baby food packaging—all in favor of safer alternatives.
- We led passage of a ground-breaking comprehensive chemical safety law in Maine, the Kid Safe Products Act, that serves as a model for similar chemical policies in other states.
- We've assisted major retailers in identifying opportunities to safely eliminate toxins from products on store shelves.
- We pioneered innovative public health programs to fund lead poisoning prevention programs for children and workers.
- The Strategy Center has raised more than $3 million to promote manufacture of biobased products that incorporate renewable biomass from forest, farm, and sea to replace fossil carbon from oil, gas, and coal.
- We co-founded and help lead five state and national coalitions actively working on toxic chemical reform.
- We passed the nation's first law banning flame retardants in all upholstered household furniture.
- We passed major legislation expanding outreach and education around arsenic and other contaminants in well water, and created a fund for residential well-water treatment.
- We passed a first-in-the-nation law phasing out toxic PFAS chemicals and phthalates in food contact materials, in favor of safer alternatives.